THE 15TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST or THE WEASEL, THE MOUSE, THE GREAT LIZARD ACCORDING TO ITS KIND

The audio version may differ from the transcript of this sermon, but can be found on Soundcloud at: https://soundcloud.com/washingtoncitycob/15th-sunday-since-pentecost-september-17-2017   Exodus 14:19-31, 15:20-21, Romans 14:1-12, Matthew 18:21-35 Nate Hosler As many of you know we went camping last week. My family has gone camping most every year for more than 20 years. My mother has…

WHERE TWO OR THREE ARE GATHERED

Matthew 18:15-20    Romans 13:8-14 Jeff Davidson We don’t like Matthew 18, at least not all the time. One of the reasons we don’t like it is that it’s about conflict in the church, and most of us don’t like dealing with conflict. If I have a problem with you, it’s easier to cut you off….

GOOD TROUBLE: DISOBEYING THE POWERS FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD

Exodus 1:8-2:10; Psalm 124; Matthew 16:13-20 Jennifer Hosler A leader stands up and says, “They are taking over. They are ruining our country. They are overrunning our cities. They are plotting, they are seeking to undermine our values and our prosperity. Those people must be stopped, must be controlled, must be contained, so that we…

WHO ARE “ALL”?

Matthew 25:37-40, Acts 2:42-47 Faith Westdorp In today’s reading we see the beginnings of the first church. Matt Skinner writes that this passage “describes a community of faith that operates in the power of God’s Spirit. The virtues of justice, worship, and mutuality are not accomplishments of extraordinary folk; they are signs of the Spirit…

CIRCLES OF LIGHT

John 9:1-41, Ephesians 5:8-14 Jeff Davidson When I started working on this sermon I ran across this reflection from Dr. Rachael Keefe on her blog “Write Out of Left Field.” (https://rachaelkeefe.wordpress.com/) She’s writing in part about our gospel reading from John, and she says, “As for myself, I have been the recipient of social judgments….

ASTOUNDED

Matthew 7:13-29 Jeff Davidson This has been a tough sermon for me to write. That’s not unusual; sometimes sermons come easily but most of the time they are a struggle, to one degree or another. There are a few challenges with this sermon in particular though, a couple that were probably common to all of…

WAIT! WHAT?!

Matthew 5:21-48 Jeff Davidson Last week Jenn introduced our six week series on the Sermon on the Mount. I thought it was an excellent sermon, and if you weren’t here I encourage you to go to the church website and give it a read. Jenn talked about the Beatitudes as nine values that define us…

What Defines Us?

Matt 5:1-20; Psalm 1; 1 Cor 1:18-31 Jennifer Hosler             On Friday (1/20), we had about 100 people in our fellowship hall as I co-led a training on being an active bystander. You may have heard that incidents of harassment have increased over the past two months: more people are being targeted because of their…

Highway to Hell

1 Timothy 6:6-19, Luke 16:19-31 Micah Bales Ever since I first looked over the scripture readings for this morning, I’ve been debating with myself whether we should listen to the song “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC. I think it would be fun, but the fact that I don’t know how the sound system in here…

LISTENING DIFFERENTLY

Galatians 3:23-29 Christy Crouse Good Morning! My name is Christy Crouse and I’m a rising senior at Truman State University in Missouri and I have been interning with the Office of Public Witness here the past four weeks, and have definitely been interested in its work for quite some time now. If some of you…